Dear Members of the South African Schools’ Debating Board,
Please see below the call for applications for the position of National Academy Shadow coach. Please submit applications on or before Monday 4 March to firstname.lastname@example.org
The position of shadow coach for the National Academy is a learnership position. The shadow coach will have an opportunity to improve her/his skills as a coach and organiser of the Academy.
The position of shadow coach does not guarantee the selected applicant the position of head coach in the future, although the experience is a valuable one for future applications.
The shadow coach would be expected to:
- Liaise with the head coach prior to the National Academy.
- Have input into the development of curriculum.
- Have input into the structure of the academy.
- Assist with the sourcing of speakers/ coaches/ judges if necessary.
- Follow the process of planning for the Academy closely.
- Be present at and participate actively in the National Academy.
- Interact with the selected speakers at the National Academy.
- Train/ coach alongside the head coach in such capacities are agreed before the tournament.
- Assist with administration of the curriculum and daily organisation at the National Academy.
- Retain a professional demeanour throughout the Academy and abide by all the norms and standards expected of an adult coach/ trainer/ educator.
- Provide feedback to the head coach.
- Meet with the head coach following the Academy to assess and reflect critically on all aspects of the Academy.
- Assist the head coach in drawing up suggestions for the Academy in the following year/ assist in curriculum modification.
- Have input into the selection of the Academy team to attend an international competition.
- Assist with training of the Academy team prior to the international competition.
The shadow coach may, depending on his/her skill set and necessity:
- Run selected sessions at the Academy, with the support of the head coach.
- Run selected training sessions of the Academy team, with the support of the head coach.
- Accompany the Academy team to the international competition as a shadow/ support coach.
- Accompany the Academy team to the international competition in place of the head coach if circumstances prevent the attendance of the head coach AND if the head coach believes the shadow coach capable of taking on this responsibility.