The SASDB’s membership is limited to one body from each province of the Republic of South Africa, which is recognised by the Board as being the official debating association of that province. Currently, the Eastern Cape Schools Debating Board, the Free State Schools Debating Board, the Gauteng Schools Debating Board, the KwaZulu-Natal Schools Debating Association, the Limpopo Schools Debating Board and the Western Cape Schools Debating Board are members.
The running of the Board is governed by a two-tier structure. Oversight and supreme authority lies with the Governing Body, which comprises of two representatives from each member of the Board, plus the incumbent President of the Board. The Governing Body holds an AGM annually.
The day-to-day running of the organisation is managed by the Executive Committee, which is elected by the Governing Body. The Executive Committee comprises of six voting members and three non-voting members. The members of the Executive Committee for 2021 are:
- President: Tlou Mashitisho
- Vice President: Umar Buckus
- Funding Officer: Bettina Buabeng-Baidoo
- Operations Officer: Rimbilana Shingange
- Development Officer: Anna von Willingh
- Team Manager(s): Lebohang Sempe and Bradley Wesi
- National Head Coach(s): Eric Kazadi and Tshepo Mofokeng (non-voting members)
- National Junior Coach(s): Daisy Whitcutt and Julia Kinghorn (non-voting members)