Dear Members of the South African Schools’ Debating Community
This is a call for applications for positions on the executive committee. There are three positions open for applications: President, Funding Officer and Operations Officer.
From my experience on the SASDB executive committee, it is incredibly rewarding to play a central role in developing and maintaining schools debating in South Africa. I encourage everyone to send this call for applications to everyone in their debating mailing lists and to seriously considering applying for these positions. Schools debating in South Africa only survives because of the hard work of people like you!
According to section 19 of the SASDB constitution:
The President shall serve a term of two years, shall act as the Chief Executive Officer of the Board, and shall:
- provide leadership to the Board;
- provide general secretarial services to the Board;
- monitor the performance of the Executive Committee;
- along with the Operations Officer, oversee the occurrence of the annual National Schools Debating Championships (NSDC); provide quarterly reports to the Board on the Board’s general activities.
The Operations Officer shall serve a term of two years, and shall be responsible for the execution of the core programme of the SASDB in the following ways:
- ensuring clear communication systems exist within the Board;
- along with the President, overseeing the occurrence of, but not fundraising for, the NSDC in line with the official NSDC rules (annexure B);
- act in accordance with the duties set out in the Terms of Appointment (annexure C).
The Funding Officer shall serve a term of two years, and shall source funding for the Board’s core programme, specifically for:
- the NSDC;
- the SASDA;
- the South African Schools Debating Team’s (SASDT) participation in the World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC).
To apply please send a debating specific CV and a letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Monday 2 December.